Modifications To Child Custody In Arizona 2018-05-22T23:47:01+00:00


Arizona Divorce Lawyer

If you have experienced a change in life circumstances, whether it be related to your income or your living situation, then you may need to request a modification to the child custody agreement that you share with your former spouse. At Dodge & Vega, PLC, we have experience in all manner of custody cases, and we can provide you with immediate assistance in requesting a modification with the court. Contact a Mesa divorce lawyer at our firm who will work to obtain a beneficial result in your case.

Only a family court judge can order a modification to a child custody decree. A parent can request the modification with a judge, but must be able to provide proof of a “substantial and continuing change of circumstances.” The parent must also be able to show that the new arrangement will serve the best interests of the child. As a change in residence or parenting time can have a significant effect on a child’s well being, a judge will usually only grant a modification for very compelling reasons. Instances of child abuse or neglect, parental health problems, or parental drug and alcohol problems are all motivations that will likely cause a judge to rule in favor of a modification.

Family Court and Child Custody Modifications

In our state, both parents are entitled to seek help from a family court in an attempt to enforce their parental rights in regards to child custody decrees. If you are in need of a modification, you can request one at any time. Conversely, if you would like to a block the other parent’s attempts at a modification, because you feel it would go against the interests of your child, then you can appeal to family court for assistance in doing so.

Contact an Arizona divorce attorney
for help in settling matters related to the modification of your child custody agreement.

Contact Us