Let’s face it, there are some conversations that are just not easy to have, especially with your children…but how do you tell your kids that you are getting a divorce?! It might not be the easiest conversation that you will have, but here are some ideas that may come in handy if you ever need to have that conversation with the littles.
- Work as one. Parents you should sit down together and explain the situation to your children. The divorce may be a joint a decision or it may not be, try to incorporate the word “we” into the conversation as much as possible. This is not the time for finger-pointing or blame. At the end of the day, it isn’t about you; it is about your children and their emotional well-being.
- Engage with the family as a whole. Having this tough conversation with the entire family present is usually for the best, and then follow up with each child individually. If there is a concern of an older child taking the news hard or that their reaction may upset a younger child parents may want to consider talking to each child on their own.
- Plan out your conversation. This conversation should not be made up on the spot, it should be thought out with specific and important messages that kids need to hear. For example:
- “Mom and Dad have been having some problems. We have tried to work through them, but things aren’t working out.”
- “Both of us love you very much. Nothing could ever change the love we have for you or the fact that we will both always be here for you.”
- “We will always be your mom and dad; we just aren’t going to be husband and wife any longer. We are getting a divorce.”
- “You are amazing kids. It is our fault that this is happening…not yours.”
- “Even with things changing, we will always be a family.”
- Expect mixed reactions. They may cry, yell, run to their rooms or even slam doors. Let them express their feelings regarding the news and be sure to provide them the space when needed and comfort them when wanted. You know your child best, be sure to let them know that you both are available to talk about any feelings or emotions they may feel during this time. Remember their lives are changing in a big way too.
- Questions will be asked. Processing their emotions and feelings revolving the big news will take time to process. Expect your children to have many conversations with them as the separation and divorce continue on. Both parents should be open to answering questions and providing comfort to the children’s emotional needs. Be honest, let them know what you know and don’t know.
If you or someone you know happens to need an attorney to assist with your divorce, please consider Dodge & Vega, PLC. We are a team of friendly, warm and understanding professionals who can provide assistance.
Our lawyers at Dodge & Vega are absolutely the best. Speak with them now over the phone or schedule an in person consult.
Jenna B., Dodge & Vega PLC
Dodge & Vega PLC founded by Ben Dodge, attorney at law. Ben is an Affordable Arizona Family Law Lawyer, Entrepreneur, Endurance Athlete, and Extreme Ultra Cyclist.
A consultation with experienced Arizona Divorce Attorney Ben Dodge is free
Understanding your rights and what you are entitled too, Ben Dodge is known as a serious litigator. There are two types of attorneys, those that sit behind a desk and push paper and those who actually hit the court room in the real world and get things done. Ben is a litigator who thrives in the court room. He once said: “It is one thing to tell your clients you are a good lawyer, it is an entirely different thing to be willing to prove it to them while they watch you do your work in front of them, in front of a jury watching your every move, in front of a judge, and your peers who are lawyers on the other side if your case. I love the opportunity to go to court and put my money where my mouth is.
In my experience most lawyers are either afraid of the court room or not good at it and belong behind a desk or both.” -Ben Dodge Ben is one a very few lawyers trained in advance litigation skills through the National Institute of Trial Attorneys (NITA) and has earned the designation as a NITA Advocate.
The negotiation tactics and strategies of winning a case are extremely important, but should always take a back row seat to the litigation experience and knowledge of court room rules, local, state, and federal rules of civil procedure that can have significant impact on your case. It is wise to be represented by someone well versed in the law, civil procedures, local and state ordinances, rules, regulations, policies, and even the court room politics that always play out.
Ben Dodge always offers a complimentary in person consultation to all clients. For those who live out of state or are otherwise busy with work, etc. Ben will do a complimentary phone consultation as well. Typically the consultations are scheduled from 30-60 minutes depending on the severity of the case. You can expect to get answers to questions, clarity, information, and reassurance of your personal, family, or business issues. In your free consultation you can generally expect to discuss such topics as:
- What your legal issue is really about.
- Whether or not you have any chance of winning and how to make that possible.
- Our unique and incredible fee structure making Dodge & Vega lawyers affordable for almost any budget.
- Your specific case details, any pictures, police reports, or any other evidence you provide for his review.
- The applicable local, state, and federal laws underlying your case.
- Your rights, obligations, and any potential liability.
- The process, procedure (in and out of court), and the time frame required to conclude your case.
You can call Arizona Lawyer Ben Dodge of Dodge & Vega, PLC at 1.480.656.8333. Mr. Dodge’s staff is standing and ready to accept your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every single day of the year. Someone from our office will personally return your call within 24 hours to schedule an appointment with Mr. Dodge or one o his associate attorneys. There is never an obligation past a complimentary consultation with Mr. Dodge. His passion is in relentless representation and his entire office stands ready to serve with kindness, compassion, and patience. We strive to make a legal experience with our firm one of the most outstanding customer service experiences you will ever have and to do so without you having to go broke! Lawyers can be incredible and affordable. Let us show you how.
Dodge & Vega, PLC
Call Ben Dodge, your incredible Arizona Lawyer today at 1.480.656.8333.
Mr. Dodge can also be reached by email at email@example.com
His main Arizona offices are located at:
Mesa Arizona (home base office)
7227 E. Baseline Rd. STE 109,
Mesa, Arizona 85209
Phoenix Arizona office
2415 e. Camelback Rd., suite 700
Phoenix, Arizona 85016
Tucson Arizona office
One South Church Avenue, 12th Floor
Tucson, Arizona 85701